Friday, September 23, 2011

Exterior "House Jewelry"

So I got my usual ripple of excitement today when my new edition of Coastal Living, October 2011 poked out of the mailbox to greet me as I walked up to the front door after a long day of work.  I am forever inspired by their room images and decorating ideas.  They are a beachy magazine but not too kitchy or cheesy...just the way I like my beach style.

This month's edition discusses dressing up your front door which is very timely for our newly purchased home with an exterior that just doesn't fit my love of bright colors and it's tiny ranch-y cottage architecture, not to mention its close proximity to the beach.

The image of our house below shows its current state.  My hopeful exterior is donning a really pale yellowish-cream color (which I can live with--dressed up with some color) and an olive green that just isn't me.  My feeling is if you look like a beachy-ranchy-block-house then you should just embrace it.  And embrace it we shall...me and my little "Sea Glass Castle" :).

GetAttachment - 107 SW 11th Ave, Boynton Beach, FL 33435



I have some "Surfer" by Behr just waiting to adorn my front door (as soon as the Florida humidity calms down) and I want to add the Starfish Wreath highlighted in this month's CL (below) like a nice pair of dangling earrings, to complement the new color.  Although, I think at $120 I may have to attempt a DIY of this baby--unless I feel like an indulgent house-jewelry spurge :).

SURFER by behr, image via Coastal Living

Beach Decor Starfish Wreath -  Nautical Decor Seashell Wreath
"Starfish Wreath" from beachgrasscottage HERE.


I also want to pump up the house numbers since our thin silver current numbers just get lost in the yellowish background.  I want something that pops with color and life...and makes sure people don't keep driving past the house.  I love these (below).  Thank you CL for the suggestion! Although not sure my house can pull off paprika numbers...I like where the idea is going. They are from Heath Ceramics and just pop off the screen.

That said I really love what they did on this front door from House of Turquoise, the Dream House edition (which I agree, this house is a coastal dream).

This would also require less work because I could just take the house numbers on the side of the house next to the door and put them on the door.  In the end this, with my slightly brighter blue door (the house above used Wythe Blue by Benjamin Moore, which I contemplated but in the end brightness won my heart and my palette) will probably be what I will go with.  But I would still love a pop of paprika or coral...maybe in a some adirondack chairs or a door mat.  

Speaking of door mats...I love these....
Maine Rope Mats (greens, yellows and oranges) 21" X 34"
"Maine Door Mat" from coxpond found HERE.

welcome home one color doormat
"welcome home" by damngooddoormats HERE.

Garnet Hill Doormat Collection - Size 1
garnet hill doormat collection HERE.

I think I am going to probably go with the last one because 1) I love things garnet hill 2) It's on sale 3) It goes with the colors of the house from the pale yellow to the new door color.  Hmm.  What to do?

The last piece I know I am going to add to this new door is a door knocker, as we have no doorbell.  One of the many quirks of the tiny Florida beach house (I will discuss others later--like the "outhouse" and laundry room deal).  I really want this one from Home Depot which at $39 isn't too bad.  Especially for a stylish and coastal way to hear someone when they come to the door.

What are your favorite bits of (exterior) house jewelry?  Do you have a painted front door and did you do it yourself?  I would love to hear some of your exterior home design inspirations.  And I definitely recommend this month's Coastal Living for some great inspirations!


1 comment: